This post contains the listing of the various population size of States in Nigeria going by the 2006 population census held. The total population of Nigeria is put at around 140,003, 54399.998.
Nigeria has in it 36 States in the country with all of the States divided into 6 Geo-political Zones. They are, the North Central, North West, North East, South South, South East and South West Nigeria. Each of this zones contains States grouped in order of their location into these Geopolitical Zones.
Also each of the States are made of Local Government Areas(LGAs) which all sum up to give a total of 774 Local Government Areas(LGAs) in Nigeria.
By far the North Western part of Nigeria, is the most populated region in Nigeria. With Kano State being the most populated State in Nigeria, also from that same region having a population of around 9.4million people in it going by the 2006 population census.
Second most populated State in Nigeria going by the data above is Lagos State, located in North Western part of Nigeria. Population of Lagos and Kano have been subject of controversies as some proponents have always argued that Lagos State is the most populated.
Going by the 2006 Population Census, Lagos State is said to have around 9.2million people living inside it. Both Lagos State and Kano State share one thing in common. They are both commercial oriented States.
Second to the least populated State is Bayelsa State, located in the South South region of Nigeria. Bayelsa State consist of 8 Local Government Areas (LGAs) inside it. Making it one of the States with the smallest numbers of Local Government Areas LGAs.
Least populated State in Nigeria, is the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja. Abuja is the capital city of Nigeria. Comprising, just 6 Local Government Areas. The population of Abuja is put at around 1.4million people living inside it going by the 2006 population census.
Population of States in Nigeria By Size:
- Kano State 9,401,288 people
- Lagos State 9,113,605 people
- Kaduna State 6,113,503 people
- Katsina State 5,801,584 people
- Oyo State 5,580,894 people
- Rivers State 5,198,605 people
- Bauchi State 4,653,066 people
- Jigawa State 4,361,002 people
- Benue State 4,253,641 people
- Anambra State 4,177,828 people
- Borno State 4,171,104 people
- Delta State 4,112,445 people
- Niger State 3,954,772 people
- Imo State 3,927,563 people
- Akwa Ibom State 3,178,950 people
- Ogun State 3,751,140 people
- Sokoto State 3,702,676 people
- Ondo State 3,460,877 people
- Osun State 3,416,959 people
- Kogi State 3,314,043 people
- Zamfara State 3,278,873 people
- Enugu State 3,267,837 people
- Kebbi State 3,256,541 people
- Edo State 3,233,366 people
- Plateau State 3,206,531 people
- Adamawa State 3,178,950 people
- Cross River State 2,892,988 people
- Abia State 2,845,380 people
- Ekiti State 2,398,957 people
- Kwara State 2,365,353 people
- Gombe State 2,365,040 people
- Yobe State 2,321,339 people
- Taraba State 2,294,800 people
- Ebonyi State 2,176,947 people
- Nasarawa State 1,869,377 people
- Bayelsa State 1,704,515 people
- Federal Capital Territory (Abuja) 1,405,201 people.